Swim Winchester Mission
Swim Winchester is a volunteer not-for-profit organization created to design, build, and maintain an all-season community swimming pool in Winchester, MA. Our vision is to create a gathering space for the community. We are committed to promoting water safety and life-long health for all age groups, from infants to seniors. The pool will be accessible to the public and useable by all, including those with limited mobility and disabilities.
Our goal is to:
* Support wellness through fitness classes and public swim times
* Satisfy the high demand for more affordable aquatics programs
* Increase safety through learn-to-swim programming for all ages
* Benefit older adults by encouraging low-impact exercise
* Provide a venue for WHS swim team practices and meets
* Develop a local swimming club and Masters swim team
* Create local employment
* Expand in-town recreational opportunities
* Enhance the town’s quality of life and community pride
A community pool vision for Winchester
- On the WHS campus but accessible to the community. The pool should be separate so it can be used by the community even during the day when school is in session.
- One and a half pools. One larger pool should be kept at a cooler temperature geared towards lap swimming and competition, while a smaller and warmer pool could host activities such as children’s swim lessons, therapy, and water aerobics.
- A multipurpose room. This would give the facility flexibility by allowing for dry land training, classroom instruction, birthday parties, and meetings.
- Spectator seating. This enables the facility to hold swim meets and earn rental income.
- Fitness equipment. Allows people to supplement their workout.
Other possible elements: low chlorine water treatment; a diving well (or lanes); additional lanes for the competition pool; a dividing wall between the pools, and a coffee/gathering area in the lobby.
Have great ideas for the pool? Let us know what you think: Give Feedback
We are working with the Town of Winchester and consulting with the following community organizations: Council on Aging; Winchester Seniors Association; WHS Girls Swim Team; WHS Boys Swim Team; Winchester Swim and Tennis Club; Winchester Country Club; Winchester Boat Club; Family Action Network; Winchester Recreation Department; Winchester Disability Access Commission; Masters Swim Team; Woburn Boys and Girls Club; Woburn YMCA. If you don't see your group here and would like to help, please contact us.